Naloxone Use by PA DOH Licensed EMS Agencies
Licensed BLS EMS Agencies can administer Naloxone to suspected narcotic overdose patients. And Licensed BLS EMS Agencies can also act as a Naloxone Program Administrator for non-licensed public safety agencies that are located in their communities (i.e. police or fire departments).
How to become a Naloxone recognized BLS EMS Agency-
- EMS Agency Medical Director oversees the education and authorization of the EMS agency EMS providers
- EMR or EMT personnel complete Con-ed course # 007622 (Naloxone Administration for EMR & EMT). Course can be taken online via Learning Management System (LMS)
- EMS Agency acquires the Naloxone medication for EMS agency licensed vehicles. Secures and stores the medication per manufacturer requirements.
- PCR documentation and Quality Improvement review process for each use of Naloxone
- Monthly inspection logbook for the Naloxone
- Contact EMMCO West, Trish Parker, for PA DOH inspection for Naloxone use by BLS EMS agencies
How to become a Naloxone public safety oversight EMS agency
- EMS Agency Medical Director agrees to oversee the public safety agency-personnel, signs perscription for Naloxone, and oversees quality improvement process for Nalozone use.
- The public safety provider (non-licensed EMS agency police or fire department personnel) must have completed an approved training prior to administering naloxone to a victim of overdose. Go to www.givenaloxone.org for available training program.
- Public Safety & EMS agency agreement signed
- Recommended policy for Naloxone program use
- Standing Order for Naloxone